Club Weekend Away - Thank you Rachel!

More
10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #5570 by Rachel Glendon
Club Weekend Away - Thank you Rachel! was created by Rachel Glendon
The Club Weekend Away is going to be to Mullingar this year, staying in the 4* Annebrook House Hotel, and the format is going to be similar to last year in that we are going to cycle there and back.

The date is Saturday November 16th and there will be two routes, a 120km route and a 90km more direct route. Both will include a coffee/lunch stop.

Annebrook House Hotel
€74.50pps – Bed&Breakfast + Dinner.
Tel: 044 9353300
Reference: Orwell Wheelers
www.annebrook.ie/

Dinner at 7pm
Secure room provided for bike storage over night.
Public swimming pool located beside the hotel open to the public and payable privately.
BOOK BY OCT 31st – (above offer cannot be guaranteed after this date)

Start time, location, routes and bag drop off will be confirmed closer to the time, but for now, find yourself a roomie and get booking!

If you don't fancy cycling to Mullingar there are plenty of other options for getting there; train, bus, car.
If anyone is driving down and can offer some assistance in terms of transporting cyclists' luggage, please get in touch

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by Dave Mc. Reason: Thank you!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian Mc

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 10 months ago #5572 by Dick O'Brien
Replied by Dick O'Brien on topic Club Weekend Away - Nov 16th
Is there a nightclub?

No forum login? Mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Don't want to miss any forum posts? How to set up email notifications
Subscribe to the calendar: Hit "+" button at bottom of widget

More
10 years 10 months ago #5575 by Diarmuid Collins
Replied by Diarmuid Collins on topic Club Weekend Away - Nov 16th

Is there a nightclub?

No nightclubs in Mullingar but there are a few dishcos
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian Mc, Dick O'Brien

More
10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #5576 by Brian Mc
Replied by Brian Mc on topic Club Weekend Away - Nov 16th
I need an adult! I mean, a roomie. Please post cover letters with a headshot to the usual address.

edit: never mind, I found one. \o/
Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by Brian Mc.

• Paul Mallon
10 years 10 months ago #5587 by Paul Mallon
Replied by Paul Mallon on topic Club Weekend Away - Nov 16th
Hi

I am interested in the weekend away in Mullingar.
I only joined last November and unfortunately I don't know anyone in the club too well.......I wasn't out with Orwell as often as I would have like to have being.
I am going to book a twin room in Annebrook. Let me know if you are interested in sharing.

Cheers
Paul.

More
10 years 10 months ago #5591 by Rachel Glendon
Replied by Rachel Glendon on topic Club Weekend Away - Nov 16th
Today is the last day that the hotel can guarantee the €74.50 rate, so if you haven't already booked, do so now!

Quote Orwell Wheelers when making your booking.

The cycle routes and coffee stops are currently being finalised, and I'm still looking for help with transportation of luggage. If you think you can help, please get in touch.

More
10 years 10 months ago #5635 by Rachel Glendon
Replied by Rachel Glendon on topic Club Weekend Away - Nov 16th IMPORTANT UPDATE
Important Information:
MAKE SURE YOUR BIKE IS IN GOOD WORKING ORDER BEFORE YOU EMBARK UPON YOUR JOURNEY TO MULLINGAR!

Check your brakes NOW, make sure you have good pressure in your tyres and if there has been a niggley noise coming from your bike that you’ve been meaning to get checked out, do it! This is a long spin, numbers are big, and while cycling in a group, we are all depending on each other to ride safe.

Bag drop:
Strictly one bag per person. Please pack lightly and label your bag.
There are two bag drop locations, Joe Daly’s and the Pope’s Cross, Phoenix Park (where we will be departing from).

Thursday Joe Daly’s 17:00 – 19:00
Friday Joe Daly’s 09:30 – 18:00

Saturday morning the bags will be collected from Joe Daly’s at 9:15am, the van will then drive to the Pope’s Cross, Phoenix Park where the remainder of the bags will be collected and transported to the Annebrook Hotel.
Please note that if you are staying in a hotel other than the Annebrook, you must collect your bags from the Annebrook.

Meeting time and place:
John Twomey has kindly offered to lead a group from Joe Daly’s to the Phoenix Park on Saturday morning, leaving at 9:15am SHARP. Please be considerate of the time given, as the people in the Phoenix Park will be waiting for you to arrive before they can leave
Leaving the Pope’s Cross, Phoenix Park at 10am SHARP.
Please bear in mind your own level of ability when choosing a route and a group. Make sure you are well prepared for all weather conditions. Also ensure that you have enough energy bars, drinks, etc., to keep yourself going. Bring a pump, spare tubes and any other equipment you would normally bring for your long Sunday spin.

Routes:
Please take time to familiarise yourself with the route you choose. Don’t rely on someone else to lead you. If you think it may be helpful, print out the map and bring it with you.

The short route: www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/323039775 is 77km and very straightforward in terms of both cycling and route finding. Suggesting the Streetside cafe in Enfield (38km) for lunch.

Longer route: www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/323044115 This is 112km, but can easily be cut to 90km, if needed, by blasting down the N52 from Athboy. There is a cafe in Athboy (60km), or a couple of shops and garages with delis if people would prefer that.

Dinner in the Annebrook Hotel is at 19:00

Bag collection:
On return ALL BAGS WILL BE RETURNED TO JOE DALY’S. I have sourced a volunteer to drive the van back to Dublin. The bags will be available for collection from 13:30 – 14:30pm on Sunday. After this time they will be locked safely into Joe Daly’s where you can come and collect them during the week.

I am still looking for a volunteer to drive the van with the bags to Mullingar. If this is something you think you would be able to help with, please contact me.

Looking forward to a great weekend away, I hope you are too!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Mc, Dick O'Brien

More
10 years 10 months ago #5638 by John Latham
Replied by John Latham on topic Club Weekend Away - Nov 16th
Anyone (Paul Mallon?) have a bed free?

I haven't booked anything yet.

• Paul Mallon
10 years 10 months ago #5639 by Paul Mallon
Replied by Paul Mallon on topic Club Weekend Away - Nov 16th
Hi John

Yep. There's a free bed.
Tis all yours

Paul.

More
10 years 10 months ago #5640 by Diarmuid Donnelly
Replied by Diarmuid Donnelly on topic Club Weekend Away - Nov 16th
Forgot about this until now! I'm booked in to the Annebrook but haven't paired up, so if anyone else is looking for a roomie, get in touch.

Cheers,
Diarmuid.

More
10 years 10 months ago #5642 by Rachel Glendon
Replied by Rachel Glendon on topic Club Weekend Away - Nov 16th
If anyone has a van we can use for the weekend, please get in touch!

Thanks,
Rachel

More
10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #5644 by Stephen Ryan
Replied by Stephen Ryan on topic Club Weekend Away - Nov 16th IMPORTANT UPDATE
Just in case -

I couldn't print off the cue sheet from mapmyride without being an MVP member so re-created the longer route in strava. If you want you should be able to print the route &/or export to garmin without having to be a member (or not a paid member anyway) - caveat emptor on the route but I think I got it. Hopefully I won't need to look at it and someone else's wheel will show me the way but as I say , just in case.

www.strava.com/routes/77267
Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by Stephen Ryan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Mc

More
10 years 10 months ago #5645 by Rachel Glendon
Replied by Rachel Glendon on topic Club Weekend Away - Nov 16th IMPORTANT UPDATE
I have a van and drivers.

The drinks are on everybody except Aidan Collins and John Twomey!

Thanks a million guys!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Mc

More
10 years 10 months ago #5646 by Dave Mc
Replied by Dave Mc on topic Club Weekend Away - Nov 16th IMPORTANT UPDATE
Looks like it's going to be dry, sunny and calm both ways, though chilly enough. Make sure to dress up warm!

There will be a 10k run on in the park tomorrow, starting at 10:00. It shouldn't affect us, but be aware that there will be more traffic in the park than usual. It looks like a stretch of Chesterfield Avenue will be closed, so anyone coming in from the Castleknock might have to go the long way around.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rachel Glendon

More
10 years 10 months ago #5655 by Dave Mc
Replied by Dave Mc on topic Club Weekend Away - Nov 16th Thank you all
Just back from another great Winter weekend away, I have to say thank you so much to everyone who helped out over the weekend, and most particularly to Rachel for all of the organising.

Hopefully everyone enjoyed themselves, found their ways home eventually, and didn't suffer too much for their sins. Looking forward to seeing you all out again in a couple of weeks time at the Christmas party.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian Mc, Fergal O'Sullivan, Dick O'Brien, Diarmuid Collins, Diarmuid Donnelly, Donnacha McCormack, Rachel Glendon, Stephen Ryan

More
10 years 10 months ago #5656 by Rachel Glendon
Replied by Rachel Glendon on topic Club Weekend Away - Nov 16th Thank you all
Thanks Dave.
Anne Dalton was instrumental in the hand over of social rep duties and getting this off the ground, so a huge thanks to her.
The van lender and van drivers too are owed a huge amount of gratitude!
Thanks to Dave for charting the course.

Thank you to the group leaders, and thanks also to the club for supplying the hooch!

Thanks to Brian Mc for the ever-prompt write-up. Send your Christmas drinks his direction!

Basically, thank you to everyone who contributed to making this a great weekend away.

I hope everyone enjoyed themselves, see you all next year!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian Mc

More
10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #5659 by Brian Mc
Replied by Brian Mc on topic Club Weekend Away - Nov 16th Thank you all

Thanks to Brian Mc for the ever-prompt write-up. Send your Christmas drinks his direction!

Not putting any pressure on to get it done tonight! And after that weekend, I'm never drinking again!

www.orwellwheelers.org/news-and-events/5...about-mullingar.html

Thanks to all who are sponsoring my pathetic Movember effort, your generosity is amazing! You have free licence to mock my mo for the rest of the month

I'll welcome anything more I can get at mobro.co/brianmca
Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by Brian Mc.

Time to create page: 0.312 seconds