Guess the year!

More
9 years 3 months ago #8545 by Brian Mc
Guess the year! was created by Brian Mc
Along the lines of a recent thread, can you name which year each of these clippings are from? Details of our Christmas competition are on the front page .

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Mc

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #8546 by Brian Ahern
Replied by Brian Ahern on topic Guess the year!
That's awesome - These things just won't be appreciated by the next generation.
I'm definitely wrong here but for the first one I'll guess
Pic 1: 1962 (but that could be 15yrs out)
Pic 2: 1991

More
9 years 3 months ago #8547 by Eddie Lynch
Replied by Eddie Lynch on topic Guess the year!
I think I'll go earlier than Brian, 1948 and 1989 for me!

More
9 years 3 months ago #8568 by Declan Quigley
Replied by Declan Quigley on topic Guess the year!
Right, I've worn out the internet.
1948 and 1990.
Limit here I come!

More
9 years 3 months ago #8571 by Brian Mc
Replied by Brian Mc on topic Guess the year!
I'll throw my hat in the ring too - 1949 and 1989.

More
9 years 3 months ago #8574 by Dave Mc
Replied by Dave Mc on topic Guess the year!
Time to bring this one to a close so- I think I'll have to go a little bit less obscure next time since none of the people who were actually there have dared to put their guesses in print!

The first clipping is from December 23rd 1950, and the course would have been the Navan road 25, starting from the Dublin Wheelers tram in Castleknock and going out through Blanchardstown to turn at Dunshaughlin. Unfortunately I don't actually have the results from that one, so the only other record I have of the day is that hire of the tram cost £1/10s for use as HQ and changing rooms.

The second clipping is from the 24th of December 1990, and was a C.P. around the Green sheds. The course still went by the sheds at that stage, and it's even possible that they might still have been green at that point in time. As far as we know it was Noel's last race win, 34 years after his first. Aidan tells me it was only because he was given a huge handicap which Scratch never had a hope of overcoming, but then that's what the scratch men say every time they lose, ever.

More
9 years 3 months ago #8575 by Dave Mc
Special kudos has to go to Declan who researched the history of the Leinster Senior football championships and the marriage records of Fran and Olly Kelly in his efforts to google up answers for these ones!

More
9 years 3 months ago #8576 by Dave Mc
And finally this is an ideal time to mention Simon Brett (2nd place in 1990). Simon was a member of the club for a few years in the early 90's, and was a handy enough rider, taking a number of Open race placings at that time. While he has been off the cycling scene for many years since he recently made a reappearance to donate his old bike to the club.

The bike is now being used by one of our under 14 riders, and the youngster in question got the chance to race it in Yesterday's hamper race, so thanks are due to Simon for that act of generosity.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Declan Quigley

Time to create page: 0.771 seconds