Orwell Summer Weekend Away in Kerry

More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #25384 by Dave Murnane
Orwell Summer Weekend Away in Kerry was created by Dave Murnane
Hi!

Orwell Summer Weekend Away in Kerry.

Same plan as recent years, from our friends copy & paste at GCN (Gar Connolly Network)

When?:
June Bank Holiday Weekend Friday June 1st to Monday June 4th. Travel Down Friday eve, cycle Sat and Sun, Travel home Monday.

Where?:
Tralee, Co Kerry

Why?:
2 days of cycling

Stage 1 Tralee-Conor Pass-Dingle-Dingle Peninsula-Dingle-Coastal Road-Sliabh Mish-Tralee
www.strava.com/activities/348804424 162km and 1700m

Stage 2 Tralee-Kilarney-Gap of Dunloe-Black Valley-Molls Gap-Glencar-Ballabeama Gap-Sliabh Mish-Tralee
www.strava.com/activities/350941336 143km 1586m.

2 Amazingly beautiful routes (basically the same as TKAS 2 day in 2015 which is no longer on unfortunately. Both days are equally beautiful and you'll struggle to get 2 more scenic spins anywhere in the world. Although they are tough days out I would 100% recommend anyone to give 'em a go. They are within reach of anyone at Wicklow 200 level by June. They also happen to land on the weekend before the Wicklow 200 so would make an amazing block of training to do the 2 days of Tralee and then back to Dublin to do the W200 7 days later.

There will more than likely be 2 groups each day (a yellow and an orange). Anyone at white level now could be on yellow by then!.

Where will we stay?
Book your own apartment in the Tralee Town Centre Apartments
The superior apartment (2 double rooms, 2 single rooms) is €289.00 for the three nights (kept at 2016 prices for Orwell).

Tralee Town Centre Apartments
Maine Street
Tralee
Co Kerry
Tel:+353 (0) 66 7123456
Fax: +353 (0) 66 7123285
You need to call them, as a number of apartments have been reserved for Orwell, and are not available on the website. You can use the website for details of location etc.
www.ttca.ie

The standard apartment (1 double rooms, 3 single rooms) again all ensuite – this apartment does not have a dishwasher and would be older than the superior apartment - €229 for three nights.

Each apt are 4 rooms en suite so it works out as €19 pp per night which is an absolute bargain. Book your apartment now as these will sell out. You'll have no problem filling these apartments up as the demand from Orwell is always very high so book one and post up here, or join the WhatsApp group to fill up with fellow members!

If ttca fills up, there are alternatives such as Kings Court at €275 for 4 doubles
holidayapartmentstralee.com/apartment-rates/

Where will we eat?
We'll figure that out closer to the weekend but the big night will be on Sunday night. The Friday is do your own thing. Helen Horan will kindly book dinners once we have approx numbers. Please be courteous and let Helen know in good time if you change your mind.

Food Stops?
The groups will pick a café. Dingle Day 1 and Glencar and/or Moll's Gap Day 2 are good options. We will have more definitive suggestions a few weeks before the event but it's a self supported event.

There is a WhatsApp group for info, apartment sharing, and banter. Reach out if you want to be added
Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

That's all for now...get it in the diary and book your apt now!
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Dave Murnane.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Kane, Helen Horan, Donal O'Connor, Seán Murnane, Colm Cronin, Elaine Giblin

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 months ago #25385 by Tom Weymes
Replied by Tom Weymes on topic Orwell Summer Weekend Away in Kerry
Orwell Town Centre quota already fully booked! Anyone for sharing King's Court?

More
6 years 2 months ago #25386 by Michael Monahan
Replied by Michael Monahan on topic Orwell Summer Weekend Away in Kerry
Hey Tom,

yes i"m up for sharing!

More
6 years 2 months ago #25387 by Tom Weymes
Excellent, Michael. Your place is booked.

More
6 years 2 months ago #25388 by Michael Monahan
I see u have an Apt booked already Tom so ill be up to share coz just gave them a call now. Thanks.

More
6 years 2 months ago #25391 by Declan Keating
Replied by Declan Keating on topic Orwell Summer Weekend Away in Kerry
Hi folks. I’ve an apartment booked in Tralee Town Apartments. One double room and one single already taken. There’s one other double and one other single left. If you’re interested, you can get me on 0872340942. Thanks Declan.

More
6 years 2 months ago #25392 by Declan Keating
Replied by Declan Keating on topic Orwell Summer Weekend Away in Kerry
All rooms gone in my apartment now! Declan

More
6 years 2 months ago #25393 by John Anslow
Replied by John Anslow on topic Orwell Summer Weekend Away in Kerry
Hoping to head down, nothing booked, let me know if anyone open to a share..

More
6 years 2 months ago #25394 by Tom Weymes
1 available out of the 4 palatial rooms in the Kings Court apts., John. We'd be delighted to have you.

More
6 years 2 months ago #25397 by John Anslow
Replied by John Anslow on topic Orwell Summer Weekend Away in Kerry
Tom
Love to take you up on the offer, count me in!

More
6 years 2 months ago #25399 by Tom Weymes
OK - that's a full house - Michael Monahan, Colm Egan, you, me. As of now there are probably other apts. available in the same location.
I believe the weather was rotten last year....

More
6 years 2 months ago #25400 by Michael Monahan
Thanks a mil Tom! Looking forward to it.

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #25774 by Helen Horan
Replied by Helen Horan on topic Orwell Summer Weekend Away in Kerry
As we have quite a large group travelling to Kerry this year, I'll need to book restaurants for the Saturday and Sunday nights well in advance. I have 42 people included as it stands so if you're planning on going and aren't on the What's App group please post here or let me know asap.
Thanks,
HH

More
5 years 11 months ago #26413 by Tom Weymes
Due to changes of plan, one, possibly two single rooms in the Kings Court apartments look like being available for the June bank holiday weekend. Cost €72 each - or €24 per head per night. Sure where would you get it?
Takers let me know here or at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Tom

More
5 years 11 months ago #26517 by Luke GJ Potter
Replied by Luke GJ Potter on topic Orwell Summer Weekend Away in Kerry
There's a room free in my Tralee Town Center apartment, if anyone is thinking of making a last minute escape to Tralee for the Bank Holiday.

Should be maybe €60-70 for the accommodation.

Message me, or ask Helen to add you to the TKAS group, if you're going.

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

More
5 years 10 months ago #26627 by Dave Murnane
Replied by Dave Murnane on topic Orwell Summer Weekend Away in Kerry
Our Tralee weekend is next weekend !

If you haven't already, you may wish to set up a separate WhatsApp group for your apartment amigos. For Tralee Town Centre apartments check in has generally been 3pm to 6pm. If you need to make other arrangements it may be best to contact them, www.ttca.ie/contact-us.php

En route is Adare, a beautiful village in County Limerick, which can often be admired from long lines of traffic. If you would rather avoid it, here is a locally recommended alternative

www.google.ie/maps/dir/52.6064154,-8.672...49,-8.9671934,29773m
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Monahan

More
5 years 10 months ago #26628 by Barry Mooney
Replied by Barry Mooney on topic Orwell Summer Weekend Away in Kerry
Looks like a much better alternative route around Adare than the one Google sent me on last year, thanks for that Dave. People will also have to factor in the extra delays they'll face on the M7 around Naas with the road works currently in place.

More
5 years 10 months ago #26633 by Tom Weymes
I left southside home at 3.30 last Friday and reached Kenmare at 10.30 pm. Strongly suggest people break out their old paper maps and plot routes to join the M7 south of Newbridge or even Kildare. You might start by taking the Ballymore Eustace road from Rathcoole and heading for Kilcullen. Even getting through there is a pain - maybe there are ways around it.
M50 and M7 from Inchicore are really to be avoided.
Once you got to Adare Dave's workaround would be a bonus.

More
5 years 10 months ago #26643 by Elaine Giblin
Replied by Elaine Giblin on topic Orwell Summer Weekend Away in Kerry
Hi - thanks for this, very helpful. I'm a W200 first timer this year and just want to make sure there'll be a yellow group going, as won't be able for orange pace? Thanks in advance!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monica Coll

More
5 years 10 months ago #26644 by Helen Horan
Replied by Helen Horan on topic Orwell Summer Weekend Away in Kerry
Hi Elaine, there will be around 40 of us so we'll probably split into three groups. A fast group for the racers and those who fancy themselves, a relaxed orange group (my group) and a yellow group.. so fear not, there will definitely be a decent sized yellow group!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elaine Giblin

Time to create page: 0.774 seconds