Slippery roads out there again.

More
8 years 4 months ago #13241 by Dave Mc
Slippery roads out there again. was created by Dave Mc
Be warned and be careful, it is icy on a lot of back roads already! If you are cycling this weekend have a good think about it before you go out. We usually have lots of slips and falls on the first icy weekend of each Winter, so hopefully this weekend everyone will remain safe.

Many of the sheltered back roads and hillsides in Wicklow will be several degrees colder than the temperatures in Dublin at the same time, and at this time of year ice often won't thaw at all even in the daytime if the sun isn't hitting it. Areas that I know to be icy right now include the Long hill, Calary, and Manor Kilbride, but you can assume that most sheltered roads in Wicklow and Meath will be at risk of ice tomorrow.

If you are going out- think about going later in the day if you can, when as much of the frost and ice will have thawed out as possible, but be aware that even on an otherwise clear road there may still be patches of black ice in hollows, on corners, under trees et cetera.
Use wider tyres if you have the option, and run a slightly lower pressure- this will give you lots more grip, and considerably improve your chances of saving yourself if you do hit slippy stuff.
Try to anticipate where the icy patches might be- if you're rolling along an open road in the sunshine you are probably all good- if you're on a tree covered descent like the Poggio you have a very good chance of finding ice.
If you do find yourself on an icy patch, or riders in front of you come off, don't panic, don't hit the brakes, don't try to change your course, as that will almost certainly result in a fall. Keep rolling as calmly as you can until you hit dry tarmac again, and then make whatever adjustments you need to.
Most importantly, think about your route- our route of choice for weekends like this is the N11 and the coast road. We can never guarantee that it will be 100% free of frost and ice, but it is the closest thing we have to a sure thing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eileen Byrne, John Kehoe, Louise Keane

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 months ago #13244 by Stephen Barry
Replied by Stephen Barry on topic Slippery roads out there again.
Good call Dave.

I reckon if the weather forecast for Dublin predicting below 3-4 degrees, you are pretty much guaranteed ice around Kippure, Featherbeds, Sally Gap etc.

There was a bit of ice up at featherbeds this morning but it was mainly on the fringes. Lough bray climb was, however impassable. Enniskerry road to Roundwood was sketchy but generally okay.

Attachments:

More
8 years 4 months ago #13245 by Donal O'Connor
Replied by Donal O'Connor on topic Slippery roads out there again.
I headed out at 745 this morning up to viewing point, was going to chance lough bray but turned back half way up Featherbeds. Sheets of ice everywhere, might have been ok after a few hours but I would advise plenty of caution.

Time to create page: 0.190 seconds