Calpe 2022

More
2 years 5 months ago #35968 by BarryR
Calpe 2022 was created by BarryR
I'm considering organising a 11-day trip to Calpe in early Spring, probably Saturday 26th February to Wednesday 9th March. We last did this in Feb/March 2020, had a great time, and arrived home a day or two before lockdown 1.

At this stage I'm asking for expressions of interest - no commitment - to judge numbers so that I can get prices for the hotel and airport transfers. We would fly from Dublin to Alicante, and take a private coach direct to the Hotel Galetamar. If you aren't familiar with Calpe, it has some of the best cycling country anywhere and is used for Spring training camps by top professional teams. Our hotel is on the beach, about a 100m walk to go for a swim in the sea. The hotel is cycling-friendly, with secure bike storage, laundry facilities, and all-you-can eat evening buffet.

Our daily cycling spins vary from 120km mountain pass routes to 30km rest days with loooong coffee stops, but anyone can take a day off or choose a different route any day. All spins include at least one coffee stop.

This is not an Orwell-approved or Orwell-specific trip. There will be non-Orwell riders in the group.

So if you might be interested let me know. No commitment at this stage. Drop a message here, or contact me on
Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

I'll post more details over the next few weeks. You will have to book the flights yourself, but I will book the airport coach and the hotel. You will pay the hotel directly yourself when we are there.

Not on Whatsapp. Contact me on Signal app instead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shaun Kelly

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 5 months ago #35985 by Stephen McNally
Replied by Stephen McNally on topic Calpe 2022
Definitely interested Barry... If the last trip is anything to go by, it'll be another epic block of warm weather  training, just what we need at the end of February... 

Thanks, Stephen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BarryR

More
2 years 5 months ago #36000 by Louise Keane
Replied by Louise Keane on topic Calpe 2022
Very tempted Barry! Might not be able to do the full 11 days would would be interested in a shorter block if possible 
Lou 

More
2 years 5 months ago #36002 by Adam Conlan
Replied by Adam Conlan on topic Calpe 2022
Hi Barry. I would be interested in joining you and fair play to you for organising another trip. Adam

More
2 years 5 months ago #36012 by Declan Quigley
Replied by Declan Quigley on topic Calpe 2022
Hey Barry,
I'd certainly be interested in this if I can do a slightly shorter version. Thanks for organising!

More
2 years 5 months ago #36013 by BarryR
Replied by BarryR on topic Calpe 2022
So far it looks like we will have a group of 10 or 12.

To clarify a few things:
  • Everyone is welcome. We cater for very mixed abilities - those training seriously go off on their long mountain spins when they want and those seeking more relaxed cycling go on shorter rides and take days off if they want.
  • If the full 11 days doesn't suit your availability you can arrive a few days late and/or leave a few days earlier. You just have to let me know so that your hotel booking is correct, and you have to organise flights and airport transfers that don't match my arrival and departure arrangements. Airport transfers to/from the hotel are extremely easy - I use Beniconnect and have always found them good value and very reliable.
  • This is not an Orwell-only trip, so feel free to encourage cycling friends or relatives to join you.
  • You must be fully vaccinated and accept all distancing and masking requirements. No exceptions.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Declan Quigley, Shaun Kelly

More
2 years 5 months ago #36028 by BarryR
Some more information. Our usual hotel in Calpe, the Galetamar, has not yet reopened and they are not yet sure if they will reopen before our visit to Calpe. The same hotel group have another hotel, the Esmeralda, just down the street, which is open. I am discussing requirements and prices with the Esmeralda. It looks like the price there will be €407 per person sharing for 11 nights, including evening meal.

According to our advance reconnaissance scouts, the Esmeralda is acceptable but the Galetamar is preferred. We may end up booking the Esmeralda with the option to change our booking to the Galetamar if it reopens.

Group numbers are now up to 14 or so, with a mixture that covers the full range from serious training to slow enjoyment of bike, sunshine and coffee.  There will be separate ride groups each day to provide for all.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Shaun Kelly

More
2 years 4 months ago #36067 by BarryR
I've put the plans for Calpe 2022 on hold until the situation with the Covid Omicron variant becomes clearer. I was about to ask people to commit to the trip by booking flights but with the current uncertainty I know that most would be reluctant to do that right now.

It's not yet known how much of a problem the Omicron variant may be for us, but signs so far are not good. Looking back at the time it took the delta variant from first appearance to becoming established in this part of the world it seems likely that the Omicron variant, if it turns out to be as strong as initial indications, could lead to travel restrictions that persist to February - March.

I'll revive the plans if when the Calpe trip looks practical.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Louise Keane

More
2 years 3 months ago #36124 by Nicholas Hughes
Replied by Nicholas Hughes on topic Calpe 2022
Hi Barry
Should you be going ahead with this I would be interested
Please include me in any updates
Thanks
Nicholas

More
2 years 3 months ago #36125 by BarryR
Hi Nicholas. Things are still uncertain at the moment, but you'll be very welcome when we get back on the Calpe roads. I'll add your name to the list of those interested.

As soon as this wave of covid gets to a point where we can begin to plan safe travel again I'll look at hotel and flight availability and see what we can do. Dates may not be the same as originally proposed, and it may be at relatively short notice - a few weeks notice instead of the few months that we like - but that's the world we live in at the moment.

A reminder to those who have expressed interest or who might join the group that full vaccination and adherence to all masking and distancing rules will be required. No exceptions. At this stage, full vaccination includes getting the booster shot.

More
2 years 2 months ago #36295 by BarryR
Unfortunately I won't be organising a Spring trip to Calpe this year. A personal situation means that my bike riding is limited at present. I plan to get a group back to Calpe in early Spring next year so put that on your calendar now!

Time to create page: 0.261 seconds