CycloCross Weekend Nov. 11th - Training and Race

More
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #28431 by Luke GJ Potter
CycloCross Weekend Nov. 11th - Training and Race was created by Luke GJ Potter
I come to you, helmet in hand, Fellow Club Members,

We are arranging, what turned into a CycloCross Weekend at the GAP Glencullen.
Race on the 11th, and a training day on the 10th.

We need your help in making this a success. If you haven't contributed to the High-Five Pledge, now is your chance, I would love to see some new faces.

Saturday Nov. 10th
Orla Hendron is organising a CX Training Session, lead by Andy Layhe and Beth McCluskey.
I'm sure that it's Orwell Members Only.
Sign-up Link: Scott Orwell Wheelers CX Training Day .

Help Needed #1: Also on the 10th, we need your help in marking out the course with poles.

Sunday Nov. 11th
We are arranging the open Race to take place.
Announcement Article: Scott Orwell Wheelers CycloCross Race 2018

Help Needed #2: We need help taping up the course, and repairing damaged tape during the race. Help at Sign-on is always appreciated.
We need the underage courses taped up by 09:20 and the senior course taped up by 10:10-ish

How to help I'll setup a WhatsApp group for the weekend and post the link here, join the group if you want to help out.
In the meantime, please come to the Bike7 Charlesland CX Race on Saturday evening 27th October , and see what this CX malarkey is all about.

Regards,
Luke
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by Louise Keane.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Louise Keane, Paul Kane, Barry Mooney, Barry O'Brien

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #28471 by Luke GJ Potter
Hi all, Helmet nervously grasped in Many Hands to make light work, as I approach thee.

I set up a
CX WhatsApp Group for helping on the day:-->
Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.
<--

Please click to join, if you can help out to Stake the course on the 10th, or Tape, Re-Tape and/or Marshall on the 11th.

I also have a Spreadsheet listing the tasks, it's open to everyone to edit, so I'll hide it, so only logged in members can view it. It's also linked in the WhatsApp group chat's description.

Race Day Tasks:
Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by Brian Mc. Reason: Hiding whatsapp link from guests to prevent spamming

More
5 years 5 months ago #28505 by Patrick Malone
Hi Luke
I'm happy to help on Sunday morning.I would need to be finished by 10.30.
Regards
Patrick
The following user(s) said Thank You: Luke GJ Potter

More
5 years 5 months ago #28509 by Luke GJ Potter
Thank you Patrick,

I don't want to keep anyone for more than an hour, ideally.
On the spreadsheet above I have the tasks broken down by hour.

The most important thing is that we have the U10 and U12 parts of the course (Start/Finish, Lower Sandpit, Camber) taped up by 09:20, and the rest of the course by 10:10.
We'll need a marshal for the Dublin Mountain Way for the U10/12 Race 09:30 -> 09:50.

More
5 years 5 months ago #28526 by Martyn Holmes
Luke

I am not around Sunday but around for at least first half of Saturday.
9/9.30 to 11.30 if needed

Martyn

More
5 years 5 months ago #28527 by Martyn Holmes
Luke

I am not around Sunday but around for at least first half of Saturday.
9/9.30 to 11.30 if needed

Martyn

More
5 years 5 months ago #28528 by Luke GJ Potter
We don't have a planed start time devised for Saturday yet, as we want to align the delivery of Portaloos and Barriers with us being there, but we'll put it in the WhatsApp Group, if you join.

More
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #28529 by Luke GJ Potter
Club Members, we need your help for the CX Race this Sunday, please.

Just an hour of your time to fill the remaining slots (in red crayon on the image).
Marshaling the Dublin Mountains way (you'll see lots of the race) and Directing Traffic.

Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by Luke GJ Potter.

More
5 years 5 months ago #28532 by Simon Smith
Can help on Sunday Luke, just lemme know where you want me. No commitments so can cover whatever gaps.

PS: The spreadsheet link is hidden from the general public but the Whatsapp isnt. As an anti spam precaution it can be good to hide those too.

-=:::=-

More
5 years 5 months ago #28534 by George Flanagan
Hi Luke could give a hand on the Sunday morning, let me know what you want done,taking into account its my first time with cyclocross,

George

More
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #28536 by Donal Arundel
Hi Luke I can help out on the Sunday, I put my name down for the 10 and 11 marshalling slots in the spreadsheet.
Donal
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by Donal Arundel.

More
5 years 5 months ago #28538 by Luke GJ Potter
Thanks Simon, Donal and VP Flanagan, it's really coming together.

Only just Directing the Parking for the hour slots 10:00 -> 11:00 -> 12:00 -> 13:00.

GAP will give us a field to use for attendees. The existing carparks are reserved for GAP Patrons and Dublin Mountain Way Walkers.
It's only until 13:00, I can't imagine anyone rocking up after 12:45 though.
I'm not 100% sure of Patrick's leaving time.

And The Upper Sandpit Dublin Mountain Way Crossing for 12:00 -> 13:00 -> 13:30 -> 14:30.

This will be a great viewing point for the race.
It's just to stop Walkers crossing the course when there are riders near.
I've been up there the last two Saturdays and there are lots of nice dogs that you can pet, if that's your thing.

More
5 years 5 months ago #28546 by Ken Moloney
Hi Luke
I’m able to help Sunday.
I’ve pencilled myself in for the 12 and 1.30 marshalling slot but am flexible if you need
to move me around or need me earlier.

More
5 years 5 months ago #28551 by George Flanagan
Hi Luke, let me know what time you could use me at, and what do you want me to do. I'm flexible about times
George 0872515770

More
5 years 5 months ago #28560 by Simon Smith
Big thanks to Luke and Co. for organising a great event. Lovely to see such a big cohort of youths participating.

Podium finishers

Non podium finishers

More photos later on.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Louise Keane, Paul Kane, Luke GJ Potter

More
5 years 5 months ago #28561 by Paul Kane
Huge thanks to everybody who turned out to help today, especially those non CX’rs. We got really decent numbers and feedback seems to be very positive. A special thank you to Luke, who took control of the organization and put in a huge amount of work over the last month, without which the event would never have taken place.
I’m sure he’s looking forward to next year already
Paul
The following user(s) said Thank You: Luke GJ Potter, Ken Moloney, Patrick Malone, Darran Kearney

More
5 years 5 months ago #28572 by Barry Mooney
I'd also like to echo Paul in saying a massive thank you to all of you that gave up your Sunday to come out and help make yesterdays race happen. Hopefully some might even catch the CX bug. Don't let the haunted looking riders gasping for air put you off, you just watched a race on one of the toughest courses on the circuit.

To the zen master of calm Luke, congratulations on organising and running the clubs first open cyclocross race. Hopefully you'll get to relax now and put your feet up.
Everyone I spoke to out on the course gave us positive feedback, apart from all the climbing involved. : )

Here's to LukeCross 2019!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Luke GJ Potter, Ken Moloney

More
5 years 5 months ago #28587 by Simon Smith
Full photo album now here on Google Photos:
photos.app.goo.gl/x1q8LVk8CbqfcjtE7

The following user(s) said Thank You: Louise Keane, Paul Kane, Luke GJ Potter, Lorna Reilly

More
5 years 5 months ago #28607 by Louise Keane
Replied by Louise Keane on topic CycloCross Weekend Nov. 11th - Training and Race
David Swift (ex of this parish) has put together a really nice video of the racing last Sunday! We might almost forgive him for leaving us......almost;)

The following user(s) said Thank You: Luke GJ Potter, Simon Smith

More
5 years 5 months ago #28608 by Luke GJ Potter
Massive Thanks to everyone who helped out on this race. It was a tough six weeks making the contacts and putting processes in place. None of us had been involved with running a CI Event before, so we went from zero to 100 real quick.

I really appreciate everyone who helped out on the day. Most of whom hadn't even seen "one cyclocross" before, but they all learned quick.

Special Mention to Andrew Ryan (Two-Time Club Youth CX Champ), who gave us his whole day. He taped up the course at 08:30 and tore it down at 14:40.

I asked for "new faces" to help out and we got two. Vice-President Flanagan and Simon were the only two I didn't know. George helped out with the carpark much earlier than needed and Simon setup the course and took lots of photos.

Just the Lessons Learned Report to right now, so I don't forget to improve on for next year.

Highlight of the day was the three U16s battling it out, closely followed by Aine's brownies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Louise Keane, Paul Kane

Time to create page: 1.548 seconds