Next phase of the Club league on RGT

More
3 years 10 months ago #32411 by Luke Ginnell
Replied by Luke Ginnell on topic Next phase of the Club league on RGT
"Brian Mc: I think that's half the fun - trying to work out who's who and remembering who is in SS vs S."

I definitely agree with that to a large extent, but I find that everyone wearing similar/identical jerseys just adds another variable that we probably could do without. If each category wore different jerseys, you'd still have the challenge of working out who is who, except you'd be able to respond more instantly to attacks rather than having to check the list of names and distances on-screen. It won't really matter in one-lap races, but I think it's worth considering for multiple-lap races like Canary Wharf.

"Neal H: I like the suggestion Luke, it's hard to tell the categories apart. But telling riders within the category is important as well, not sure how we'd solve for both"

Yeah it's definitely not a cure-all, there'd still be problems of course, it just takes one mildly vexing variable out of the equation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Mc

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 10 months ago #32417 by Dave Mc
Replied by Dave Mc on topic Next phase of the Club league on RGT
This Thursday’s race is the lighthouse road in Majorca, a lumpy 22Km point to point. It will be the standard 4 group handicap, using the same gaps as two weeks ago in Borrego springs.

As usual, no one is to go on zero, so the first group to go will be Limit, starting at 1 minute. Semi-limit will go at 2:30, Semi-scratch at 4:00 and Scratch at 5:00. If you should accidentally false start, just stop, wait for your group, and jump on when you're supposed to.

It’s always best to start ever so slightly easy to let everyone in the group get on and then start winding it up, rather than drilling it from go and blowing your group apart. In this race, as with nearly all of them, the group that works together best will take most of the placings.

Link for registration:
Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BarryR, Dave Murnane, Stephen O'Shea, Darran Kearney, Zoheb Khan

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #32424 by Brian Mc
Replied by Brian Mc on topic Next phase of the Club league on RGT
What a race! The groups fragmented on the opening mountainous climb, and ones and twos were the order of the day as nearly everyone rode an individual TT for the rest of the course to claim their finishing places. Well done to all who suffered through that - the heat of the day here matched the surroundings of Mallorca pretty well, but wasn't pleasant on the turbo!

Robbie Dolan put the head down from the start and powered away, and would've come away with the win only for another storming performance from Killian O'Brien in the hills! There was a two minute gap in the end to emphasise O'Brien's dominance, but Dolan stayed away from all the chasers to take second.

Luke Ginnell and Padraic O'Flynn led the pursuit from behind, with Ginnell getting a gap over the top of the major climb of the day and holding it to the finish line.

Shaun Kelly and Dave McLoughlin were the next Scratch men and swept up all before them bar Brian McArdle, but having them breathing down his neck was strong motivation to fight for 5th.

1 Killian O'Brien (SS)
2 Robbie Dolan (SS)
3 Luke Ginnell (S)
4 Padraic O'Flynn (S)
5 Brian McArdle (SS)
6 Shaun Kelly (S)

Table is here: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HDNGw0-V...f1U/edit?usp=sharing
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Brian Mc. Reason: Geography!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Mc, BarryR, Louise Keane, Fergal Quinn, Zoheb Khan

More
3 years 10 months ago #32425 by BarryR
Replied by BarryR on topic Next phase of the Club league on RGT
That climb to the lighthouse is #12 in the Cyclist magazine top 100 classic climbs.

www.cyclist.co.uk/in-depth/8103/cyclist-...classic-climbs-20-11

Not on Whatsapp. Contact me on Signal app instead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Mc, Louise Keane

More
3 years 10 months ago #32428 by Dave Mc
4 group DMS on the Paterberg next Thursday, any thoughts on how many races we want to run? Ideally for the DMS we would have a separate race for each group, but we need a minimum of 5 for each race and preferably a few more than that. The weather later in the week isn’t forecast to be quite as nice, but should still be pleasant enough to send some people training outside rather than racing inside.

If we were going to get the numbers we could do 4 separate races, 3/4/5/6 laps for the different groups respectively, smaller group we could do 2 races again, 4/5 laps.
Alternatively if we are looking like only getting 14 or 15 starters again we could run it all in one race, with 1 minute gaps between the groups and scratch off first, limit last.

If you have any thoughts or preferences please do chip in, if we have 5 from any group who definitely want their own race they shall have it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Murnane, Fergal Quinn

More
3 years 10 months ago #32430 by Dave Murnane
Replied by Dave Murnane on topic Next phase of the Club league on RGT
Thanks Dave. DMS x4 would be my preference, as long as it is not difficult to arrange. I am happy to go with the majority view or the organiser's as always.

More
3 years 10 months ago #32435 by Brian Mc
To me, 5 is a pretty small number for a race, particularly in virtual world where it's hard to get up and overs going smoothly. I'd prefer a larger bunch where there's a bit more going on tactically (and I can shelter for longer), and a larger chance of a working break instead of just attrition eliminating people off the back of a small bunch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Mc, Shaun Kelly

More
3 years 10 months ago #32447 by Dave Mc
Given the small number that I know are intending to ride tonight I’ve put it all in one 4 lap race. Check back before the start because how we split it will depend on the numbers that sign up.

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Neal Hudson, Dave Murnane, Fergal Quinn, Shaun Kelly

More
3 years 10 months ago #32453 by Dave Mc
We have 13 signed up with just under an hour to go- 3 L, 2 SL, 2 SS and 6 S, so we will go with a 4 group CP again.

Limit will go at 1:00 as usual, SL at 2:00, SS at 2:30 and the Scratch group at 4:30.

More
3 years 10 months ago #32454 by Brian Mc
All eyes were on Killian O'Brien tonight, and he didn't disappoint - coming from the back of the field where the Scratch chasers started nearly 5 minutes down, to take the final sprint up the Paterberg (if you can call 10kph a sprint).

Brian McArdle was the unlucky runner up, but unluckier still was Ken O'Neill who was a sure thing for the final step on the podium, before technical difficulties relegated him to 6th.

The beneficiaries all came from Scratch, with Ian Donnelly snatching a tight fight with Neal Hudson on the line, and Luke Ginnell sealing 5th.

1 Killian O'Brien (S)
2 Brian McArdle (SS)
3 Ian Donnelly (S)
4 Neal Hudson (S)
5 Luke Ginnell (S)
6 Ken O'Neill (SS)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Mc, Ken O'Neill, Shaun Kelly

More
3 years 10 months ago #32455 by Dave Mc
We will be back to Berlin for more crit racing next week, this time with two separate races, an L/SL CP over 30 laps, and starting 5 minutes later an S/SS CP over 35 laps.

Limit and Semi-limit here:

Scratch and Semi-scratch here:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian Mc, BarryR, Dave Murnane, Fergal Quinn, Shaun Kelly

More
3 years 10 months ago #32471 by Dave Mc
Just an update on this, we only have 3 signed up for tonight’s L/SL race at the moment, if there isn’t at least one more signed up in the next 50 minutes or so it will be cancelled and we’ll all be in the one race.

More
3 years 10 months ago #32472 by Jules Cantwell
Replied by Jules Cantwell on topic Next phase of the Club league on RGT
I'm 50:50 if I'll be able to finish work in time, so can't confirm for the L/SL race. Will join the combined race if I can make it. Thanks

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #32473 by Brian Mc
The Scratch race saw plenty of action, with Killian O'Brien the victim of a start line mechanical, and both Ian Donnelly and Padraic O'Flynn going AWOL during the race, presumably to technical difficulties.

In a repeat of round two, Robbie Dolan took advantage of the handicap to put the head down and power away solo to try steal the win outright. A SS chasing group of Darran Kearney, Dick O'Brien and Colm O'Neill got organised behind, but it was Neal Hudson who steadily ate up the lead.

First he splintered the Scratch group, then pulled past Semi-scratch, before steadily eating into Dolan's lead to make the catch around 40' and creating a comfortable gap to cruise home for the win.

Dolan's impressive performance earned him 2nd, while O'Brien bested O'Neill in a tight sprint for 3rd. Kearney held on for 5th, with Shaun Kelly taking the final points.

1 Neal Hudson (S)
2 Robbie Dolan (SS)
3 Dick O'Brien (SS)
4 Colm O'Neill (SS)
5 Darran Kearney (SS)
6 Shaun Kelly (S)
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Brian Mc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Mc, Neal Hudson, Louise Keane

More
3 years 10 months ago #32475 by Brian Mc
I don't have a race report from the Limit event, but the results are in!

1 Peadar Corbally (SL)
2 Barry Redmond (L)
3 Fergal Quinn (SL)
4 Aoife Parker Hedderman (L)

Rumours have it that Dave Murnane started, but Sean had booked the turbo so Dave had to quit the race.

Sheet is available at: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HDNGw0-V...f1U/edit?usp=sharing
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Mc, Louise Keane, Fergal Quinn

More
3 years 10 months ago #32476 by Fergal Quinn
Replied by Fergal Quinn on topic Re:Next phase of the Club league on RGT
Peadar lapped us! That’s pretty much all there is to report.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Mc, Brian Mc

More
3 years 10 months ago #32477 by BarryR
Replied by BarryR on topic Next phase of the Club league on RGT
The L/SL race had just 3 limit and 2 semi-limit on the starting line. Any plans to give limit a head start were forgotten when everyone took off as the clock hit zero. All except Dave Murnane that is, who appeared to have technical difficulties and never got going at all.

Everything splintered immediately. Peadar Corbally took the lead, with Barry Redmond hanging on to his wheel for grim death for a couple of laps before dropping off. He then hopped on Fergal Quinn's wheel as he came past, and hung on there for another lap or two.

With about 7 or 8 laps to go Peadar came around to lap Barry, who promptly hopped on his wheel again (there seems to be a pattern here) and got brought back up to Fergal with about 4 laps to go. Peadar went away on his own to win by over a lap, while Barry jumped Fergal with 1 lap to go and just about held it for 2nd place.

Not on Whatsapp. Contact me on Signal app instead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Mc, Brian Mc, Louise Keane, Dave Murnane, Fergal Quinn, Peadar Corbally

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #32478 by Dave Mc
Apologies all, I missed the start of both races due to a clash with a 7th birthday. I see S/SS figured out the handicap just fine without me, sorry to L/SL who didn’t do so well!

I did get to catch the live-streams of both races though, so thanks to Barry and Brian for that.

Next week’s race is a 5 lap CP on Borrego springs, with handicaps stretched a bit longer again from last time. Link here:

3 riders to move ahead of next week, Peadar Corbally up to SS, Brian McArdle down to SS, and Robbie Dolan up to S. As usual an complaints or appeals can be posted publicly for your peers to judge you ;-)
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Dave Mc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian Mc, BarryR, Neal Hudson, Louise Keane, Fergal Quinn, Colm O Neill

More
3 years 10 months ago #32481 by Dave Murnane
Replied by Dave Murnane on topic Next phase of the Club league on RGT

Rumours have it that Dave Murnane started, but Sean had booked the turbo so Dave had to quit the race.

Apologies, flaky laptop connection, no one else to blame. It's a shame, it may have been my final chance to be lapped by Peadar.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian Mc

More
3 years 10 months ago #32534 by Ivan O'Brien
Replied by Ivan O'Brien on topic Next phase of the Club league on RGT
Hi folks. Is there a race this evening?

Time to create page: 0.420 seconds