Tuesday night hills

More
5 years 7 months ago #28033 by Ciarán Carroll
Replied by Ciarán Carroll on topic Tuesday Night Hills
Hello everyone, unfortunately I won't be able to join you for the next couple of Tuesdays but I'll post a route here anyway to save the hassle. The plan is to go up Cruagh - Johnny Foxes - down to Kilternan - Enniskerry - Kilgarron hill - featherbeds. It should be a little more than 40k with about 1000m of climbing. Remember that a jacket and lights are recommended. www.strava.com/routes/15282960

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #29336 by Evan Hughes
Replied by Evan Hughes on topic Tuesday night hills
Hi All,

“Tuesday Night Hills” are informal self led hill climbing spins that were started by Garret Connolly back in 2010, kicking off as soon as the clocks went forward and running until September.

These spins are super training for everyone, including those intending on doing the Wicklow 100 or 200, Mount Leinster Challenge, any European sportive(s), cycling trips, racing or those who are just keen on personal improvement and maintaining fitness.
Initially these spins will start as circa 40-50km spins with 800m to 1,000m of climbing. As the sunset becomes later, distances of 70-80km will be achievable with up to 1,500m of climbing.

All abilities are welcome, White through to Red with the caveat being that these are self-led spins.

Individual groups always form with cyclists of equal or similar abilities. No cyclist should be left behind and while the aim should be that everyone tackles each climb to his or her maximum individual ability, regrouping should happen at the top of each main climb, before groups continue and at the bottom of descents it is important to ensure that everyone who was at the top has made it down safely.

It is critical to bear the following in mind:

1. Front and rear lights that are working and suitably visible are mandatory.

2. The temperature can be significantly lower at the top of climbs, during descents and as the evening closes in. Therefore, make sure to bring enough clothing - an extra gilet or jacket, a hat, long finger gloves that will keep your fingers warm etc.

3.The routes that we take are away from shops; therefore bring enough food and water.

4.Make sure to have your phone and some money with you just in case.

5.Make sure that your bike is in working order and that you have a spare tube, equipment to change a puncture and also be able to use it!!

6.Those who say they can and those who say they can’t are both correct. Some routes may have multiple hills or long drags, as cycling is as much a mental thing as a physical thing, it is important to have mental determination with you each night! Don’t focus on the top of a hill, break it up into smaller segments – a lamppost or a gate 200m away etc – small bites instead of a big mouthful!!

I do not intend on doing the same weekly postings of routes, I may do the odd few if I have time. This post is to say that each Tuesday, starting tomorrow, Tuesday 2nd April 2019 these spins will commence, meeting between 6:00pm and 6:15pm tomorrow and every Tuesday going forward opposite the Yellow House Pub in Rathfarnham.

If a route is not posted in advance, they will be decided on the night – have a look back through this forum posting for ideas of what past routes were as routes this year will be similar!

These are always good fun, they are super training and are just about getting out on your bike and cycling and enjoying it!!

Evan

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #29337 by Evan Hughes
The Club League Pine Forest 5km TT is on next Thursday 4th April. With this in mind I have prepared a route for Tuesday that passes along the route of the TT.

www.strava.com/routes/12442456

Yellow House,
(Turn Left) Whitechurch Road,
(Turn Left @ M50 Flyover) College Road by the Side of Marlay Park,
(Straight at Lights) Harold's Grange Road,
(Right at Lamb Doyle's Pub),
Woodside Road,
Ballyedmondduff Road,
Johnnie Foxes,
(Turn Right) Ballybrack Road - Pine Forest (TT Route),
(Veer Left) Cruagh Road,
(Turn Right) Killakee Road,
(Turn Right) Mount Venus Road,
(Turn Right) Cruagh Road,
(Turn Left by Zipit) Ballybrack Road,
@ Johnnie Foxes, (Turn Left),
Ballyedmondduff Road,
(Veer Left) Burrow Road,
Dundrum.

41.80km with just over 1,000m of climbing.

Those who wish to can test the TT route, groups can regroup on Cruagh Road or at Zipit!

If the weather is wet / wintry on Tuesday, the route can be revised on the night!

Not sure if I’ll make tomorrow but there should be others there.

Evan

More
4 years 11 months ago #29616 by Fintan
Replied by Fintan on topic Tuesday night hills
On this evening? 6.15pm yellow house?

More
4 years 11 months ago #29655 by Leonard Kaye
Replied by Leonard Kaye on topic Tuesday night hills
I received the following email;
"Dear Orwell leisure rep

As a member of one cycling club to another I have to say your group cycling south along Whitechurch road tonight 23-4-19 at 18:30 did not exactly cover themselves in glory. Failing to yield to cars at the tuning fork for one. Swarming cars at lights and coming up inside of cars indicating a left turn at the dodgy lights junction at Sarah Curran Ave. I’m guessing some rusty heads after winter but not great road etiquette.

Best wishes..."
NAME SUPPLIED in the email
This group may very well be our Tue Hill group, if so , please remember to un-rust yourselves...

Cheers,
Leonard

More
4 years 11 months ago #29656 by Fintan
Replied by Fintan on topic Tuesday night hills
i think i was on this. there were a lot of us but i do not think we were as bad as made out. perhaps not perfect. i am talking for myself and the club as i was wearing club kit.
which club?
of course i could be wrong and i do not have eyes in the back of my head. thanks for your help NAME SUPPLIED.
FINTAN KEATINGE

More
4 years 11 months ago #29657 by Tom Weymes
Replied by Tom Weymes on topic Tuesday night hills
What a civilised rebuke, in contrast to the dog's abuse we occasionally encounter on the road from motorists. NAME SUPPLIED deserves to have his name publicised as a model cycling citizen.
Let the Orwell member without sin cast the first stone.....

More
4 years 11 months ago #29818 by Ciarán Carroll
Replied by Ciarán Carroll on topic Tuesday night hills
Is this spin on this evening?

More
4 years 11 months ago #29820 by Eamonn Eaton
Replied by Eamonn Eaton on topic Tuesday night hills
Hi Ciaran

I know a few people are heading to the Yellow House for 6.15 so see you then
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ciarán Carroll

More
4 years 10 months ago #30014 by Diarmuid Donnelly
Replied by Diarmuid Donnelly on topic Tuesday night hills
Is there a Tuesdays Hills spin planned for this evening? Not sure yet if I can make it, but keen to hit the hills if it works out.

More
4 years 10 months ago #30022 by Ciarán Carroll
Replied by Ciarán Carroll on topic Tuesday night hills
Yes, it's just nobody's been posting up. Yellow house @ 6:15 as usual.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Diarmuid Donnelly

More
4 years 10 months ago #30062 by Carthach McCarthy
Replied by Carthach McCarthy on topic Re:Tuesday night hills
Is anyone going out in the rain this evening?! Or has it been cancelled?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

More
4 years 10 months ago #30063 by Carthach McCarthy
Replied by Carthach McCarthy on topic Re:Tuesday night hills
Is anyone going out in the rain this evening?! Or has it been cancelled?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

More
4 years 10 months ago #30065 by Ivan O'Brien
Replied by Ivan O'Brien on topic Re:Tuesday night hills
Not speaking for anyone else, obviously, but a full evening of getting rained on doesn't really appeal. Wouldn't imagine many would be going out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carthach McCarthy

More
4 years 9 months ago #30394 by David Kelly
Replied by David Kelly on topic Tuesday night hills
Is there a spin this Tuesday? Just wanted to double check the meeting point is still Yellow house at 6.15 .

More
2 years 11 months ago #34793 by Evan Hughes
Hi All,

We have just about wintered this lockdown out and with restrictions easing, it would be good to get these spins going again - inline with relevant club and Government guidelines in relation to COVID-19 and weather permitting!

The first spin:

Next Tuesday, 18 May 2021. Meet at 6pm at the shops by Lambs Cross, depart by 6:15pm sharp.

All abilities are welcome, White through to Red, the caveat being that these are self-led spins. In the past, individual groups have always formed with cyclists of equal or similar abilities. No cyclist should be left behind and while the aim should be that everyone tackles each climb to their maximum individual ability, regrouping should happen at the top of each main climb, before groups continue on.

It is critical to bear the following in mind:

- Adhere to all current club and government guidelines in relation to COVID-19. Updates are available on the home page of the club’s website.

- Front and rear lights that are working and suitably visible are mandatory.

- The temperature can be significantly lower at the top of climbs, during descents and as the evening closes in. Therefore make sure to bring enough clothing - an extra gilet or jacket, a hat, gloves that will keep your fingers warm etc.

- The routes we take are away from shops; therefore bring enough food and water.

- Make sure to have your phone and some money with you just in case.

- Make sure that your bike is in working order and that you have a spare tube, equipment to change a puncture and also be able to use it!!

- Those who say they can and those who say they can’t are both correct. Some routes may have multiple hills or long drags, as cycling is as much a mental thing as a physical thing, it is important to have mental determination with you each night! Don’t focus on the top of a hill, break it up into smaller segments – a lamppost or a gate 200m away etc – small bites instead of a big mouthful!! Don’t let any lost fitness from the past year + put you off!!

Routes will be decided on the night – have a look back through this forum posting for ideas of what past routes were as routes this year will be similar!

These are always good fun, they are super training and are just about getting out on your bike, cycling and enjoying it......and depending on the weather, an ice-cream of cold beverage from somewhere local could be a carrot at the end of the evening!!

Everyone is welcome!!

Evan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fergal O'Sullivan, Tom Crotty, Ken Moloney, Colin Costello

More
2 years 10 months ago #34901 by Evan Hughes
The weather for tomorrow looks a lot more favourable than the washout that was last Tuesday!

It is in the balance as to whether I will make it on time, hopefully I will.

This is my intended route: www.strava.com/routes/2831907210311990172

Lambs Cross at 6pm and for anyone who is coming from the Yellow House direction, we could link in at the M50 bridge at the back of Marley Park at 6:15ish.

Evan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tom Crotty

More
2 years 10 months ago #34907 by Tom Crotty
Replied by Tom Crotty on topic Tuesday night hills
Thanks Evan, I hope to be at Lambs Cross.

More
2 years 10 months ago #34984 by Barry O Sullivan
Replied by Barry O Sullivan on topic Tuesday night hills
Hey Evan. Any plans for Tuesday Hills this evening?

More
2 years 10 months ago - 2 years 10 months ago #34986 by Evan Hughes
Hi Barry,

6pm at Lambs Cross

Sugested route - Bluelight, Johnnie Foxes, Devils Elbow, into Enniskerry, Liam Horner, Featherbeds, Pine Forest.

www.strava.com/routes/2834730168423520638

Not sure I'll be there but others will be.
Last edit: 2 years 10 months ago by Evan Hughes. Reason: Additional info

Time to create page: 0.387 seconds