Zwift club spin, Sunday 25th Oct 10.30am

More
3 years 5 months ago #33907 by BarryR
A relaxed bank holiday club spin on Zwift next Sunday morning to start lockdown as we mean to go on. Details to be decided, but duration will be around an hour. It will be no-drop as always, so Zwift's magic will make sure the group stays together.

If you haven't done one of these before now's the time to get started. It's not as hard as you think to set up, and you'll be glad you did it. We welcome all club members on these spins, of any age, any fitness level, and any experience level.

All you will need is your trainer (with a bike on it!), a computer with internet connection, and a Zwift account. If you need some help take a look at this article and this recent forum post . If you've got any questions about getting set up on Zwift just ask here.

Details on how to join Sunday's Zwift 'meetup' will be posted here in a day or so, but if you haven't been on Zwift before or haven't used it for a while don't forget to make sure in advance that everything is working for you.

Not on Whatsapp. Contact me on Signal app instead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: John Twomey, Louise Keane, Fergal Quinn, Andrew Ryan, Joss Tanner, James Brennan

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 5 months ago #33913 by BarryR
Replied by BarryR on topic Zwift club spin, Sunday 25th Oct 10.30am
Sunday's club ride will start at 10.30am and will be 2 laps of the Watopia "Sand and Sequoias" route. It's a total of 40km with less than 300 metres of climbing.

The ride will take just over one hour. You can drop out during it if you're short of time. A recent change in Zwift means you can join the ride up to 30 minutes after it has started, but you can't join it after that.

All welcome, no matter what level of rider, and from Zwift first timers to hardened old hands. Zwift's "no-drop" function means the group will stay together no matter how hard you ride on the front or how easy you take it on the back. If you need help getting set up for Zwift look at recent posts here in the forum, or just post a question below. We're here to help.

Join the ride

First make sure you're following Orwell Wheelers on Zwift. Use the "Zwift companion app" on your phone to find "Orwell Wheelers" and follow it.

Then just post your Zwift name below and you'll receive an invitation on the Zwift companion app on your phone. Don't forget to accept the invitation so that you can join the ride.

Then just get set up and log in to Zwift 10 or 15 minutes before 10.30 on Sunday morning. Start riding on any route, and a few minutes before 10.30am a message will pop up asking if you want to join the meetup.

Ride banter

We'll be using Discord for voice chat during the ride. The club has used this successfully for chat during many online activities. If you haven't tried it yet give it a go this time. It adds hugely to your ride experience, and it's really easy to set up - just install the software , create an account, and click on the link below.

If you've already joined the Orwell Discord channel then all you have to do is log in to Discord again before the ride. This is the same Discord channel that was used before, so if you joined the voice channel then you only have to log in again..

If you haven't yet joined the Orwell Discord channel, then install the Discord app on your computer or phone, create an account for yourself, and then click on this link:

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

If there's a choice, select "open with Discord". If required, select "Join". Click on the Orwell yellow O icon. There is a text channel and a voice channel. To get to the voice channel, click on the menu icon (3-lines) if necessary, then under "Voice channels" click on "Group ride banter". If requested, grant Discord the permissions it needs to use your microphone and speakers.

Reconnect to the Discord channel before our ride starts by logging back in to Discord and selecting "Group ride banter" as above. There's no need to keep the Discord app displayed, it will work perfectly well in the background or with the screen off.

Headphones or earbuds + microphone are strongly recommended. You'll hear better, and others will hear you better. Please try to keep your microphone muted when you're not talking, to avoid unnecessary noises from trainers, pets, children etc being heard by everyone.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Louise Keane, Fergal Quinn

More
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #33914 by Leonard Kaye
Replied by Leonard Kaye on topic Zwift club spin, Sunday 25th Oct 10.30am
Fair play Barry for all this Zwift stuff.

I normally would prefer to stick size 10 knitting needles in my eyes; than go for a work out on my indoor trainer, however, the 'no drop' ride feature, and banter on the Discord makes for a much more pleasant experience.

Cheers and thanks Barry
Leonard
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by Leonard Kaye.

More
3 years 5 months ago #33916 by Louise Keane
Replied by Louise Keane on topic Zwift club spin, Sunday 25th Oct 10.30am
Thanks Barry

It's hard to believe we are back here again but it's great to have something to keep us motivated.

Count me in for this Sunday please.

For anyone wondering about taking part or worried that they are not fast enough - give it a go! The no drop feature is fantastic we have had all ages from 9 to 60s on the club spins in the past. Barry has even mastered the art of having coffee and croisants mid ride and still not been dropped:)

More
3 years 5 months ago #33917 by Peter Carty
Replied by Peter Carty on topic Zwift club spin, Sunday 25th Oct 10.30am
Hope to join you on Sunday morning

More
3 years 5 months ago #33929 by Joss Tanner
Replied by Joss Tanner on topic Re:Zwift club spin, Sunday 25th Oct 10.30am
I'd like to join the spin on Sunday too please
Thank you

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

More
3 years 5 months ago #33934 by Hugh Butler
Replied by Hugh Butler on topic Zwift club spin, Sunday 25th Oct 10.30am
Hi Barry
Sign me up for Sunday -hard to believe were back here again ,fair play to you for organizing
Hugh Butler

More
3 years 5 months ago #33936 by Ken Moloney
Replied by Ken Moloney on topic Zwift club spin, Sunday 25th Oct 10.30am
Thank you Barry.
I’d like to join Sunday.
My profile name is:
Ken Moloney

More
3 years 5 months ago #33939 by BarryR
If you haven't used Zwift for a while don't forget to make sure in advance that it all still works for you. If you were still on the free trial period it may have expired so you may need to start paying. It costs €15 per month. You can pause your monthly payments any time, so it's easy to turn Zwift on and off as you need it.

Also don't forget to leave an extra few minutes for Zwift to update itself. There was a new version issued on Thursday evening.

Lastly, give yourself plenty of time to prepare before the meetup start at 10.30. Aim to be logged in and riding 10 or 15 minutes before. Choose any route to warm up on. A message will pop up on the screen about 5 minutes before 10.30.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Joss Tanner

More
3 years 5 months ago #33942 by Colin Coffey
Replied by Colin Coffey on topic Zwift club spin, Sunday 25th Oct 10.30am
Thanks for organising the spin Barry, can you please add me:
Colin Coffey Orw

More
3 years 5 months ago #33943 by BarryR
Reminder that the clocks go back tonight so you'll get an extra hour in bed before the Zwift ride in the morning. Unless you have small children, in which case you'll get an extra hour of trying to keep them quiet and out of trouble.

Time to create page: 0.242 seconds