Eamonn Eaton and a merry band of Orwells braved the conditions of the first ever Giro d'Italia Gran Fondo, and wrote a short and sweet account of the day.

A day to remember

Eamonn Eaton

Orwell had a small but eager group participating in the inaugural Giro d'Italia Gran Fondo in Belfast on Sunday. Our team on the day consisted of Louise Keane, Stephen Kerr, Grainne Coghlan, Rodney Phelan, Gerard Coffey, John Lanigan, John Twomey, Eamonn Eaton, Rory Rutledge.

The event organisers said that 'the Gran Fondo Giro d'Italia would see thousands of cyclists tackling some of the most historic and iconic climbs in Northern Ireland. Fully closed roads would make this event a truly once in a lifetime experience for all participants.'

We should have guessed that when we started at the Titanic in Belfast there had to be an iceberg lurking below the surface of this glossy event.

We decided to divide and conquer so poor Rory and Stephen were sent off to tackle the 58k Strangford route. There were many times during the day we wished we had been with them.

On the 173k Mourne route we were promised hills, views, lakes and rolling country side. The advertising never mentioned strong head winds, rain, cold mixed with moments of warm sunshine and lots of wee mountains.

Some of the beautiful views glimpsed between the rain

The event started at 7.30 from the Titanic Slipway and it really was an incredible sight to see 3,500 cyclists in a mass start. Stephen Roche led the way and 3 minutes later we managed to cross the start line. It must have taken another 5 minutes for everyone to get underway. The first 45 k passed really quickly. It was my first experience on a closed road event and it was a thrilling experience. The sight of the road absolutely packed with cyclists as far as you could see is one I will remember. The NI people came out in force and every village, country crossroads and roadside house had people cheering us on. I can still see the vertical Main Street in Rathfriland with crowds cheering and the civil defence just hoping we would all keel over at the top of the hill to create a bit of drama.

The first big climb was Monte Dree Hill - now that's an understatement! - however the descent made it worthwhile. Monte Leitrim followed and this was quite a sustained climb right up into the mountains. As we came over the top the rain stopped and blue sky and sunshine emerged for a roller coaster of a descent. For a moment I was looking forward to a fast flat section but out of nowhere suddenly Monte Spelga Dam was looming high above us. It was a steady sustained climb and for once the wind gave a little push from behind. Near the top I think I was starting to hallucinate and all I could think of was the 'dam' thing bursting and washing me back down the valley.

For some reason I thought that was the last hill but then another climb started. John Lanigan had warned me that there was a hill that that you would think you had conquered but multiple peaks would keep appearing. I counted 5 so felt I was almost there but then the iceberg and sinking feeling hit. I saw a sign that said Monte Slieve Croob starts now! It was almost the hill too far but thankfully I saw Rodney and John Twomey waiting at the top.

After pumping me full of caffeine gel I got a second wind and we made strong progress and eventually reached the last thrilling 10 k downhill run. We could see the massive yellow gantries of the Harland and Wolff shipyards calling us home. As we hurtled through the streets of East Belfast almost at the finish line we could hear music. From nowhere a band and marching Orange Men appeared I assume specially sent to welcome us home.

It was one of the best sportives I have ever taken part in. The freedom of closed roads, the excitement of unknown routes, new mountains, the Northern Ireland welcome, towns and villages that I knew the names of but had never seen, and the great company of the Orwell crew made the Giro Gran Fondo an event I would highly recommend that everyone experiences on one of the next two years.

Roger McMorrow did us proud as the first Orwell rider home closely followed by John Lanigan, Gerard Coffey and then the rest of us in the top third of the field.

But the highlight - when the announcers voice called out ' that's Rodney Phelan, John Twomey and Eamonn Eaton from Orwell crossing the finish line - we made it!